This course is an advanced drilling course designed to provide training in the application of drilling to effect efficient and economical drilling practices as well as solutions to drilling problems encountered during well planning and drilling operations. Problems will be solved using computers.
BENEFITS OF THE COURSE
At the conclusion of the course, participants will be able to do the following:
- Understand excellent drilling practices
- Understand drilling problems and how to mitigate or solve them
- Perform pre- and post-drilling analysis, and drilling cost analysis
- Minimize drilling costs and maximize return on investment
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Senior Drilling Engineers, Geologists, Drilling Supervisors, Managers, Drilling Contractor and Service Personnel
1. QUICK REVIEW OF RIG EQUIPMENT AND RIG OPERATIONS.
2. DRILLING COST ANALYSIS:
- Factors affecting penetration rate concept
- Well planning approach.
3. DRILLING FLUIDS:
- Composition and types of drilling fluids
- Properties and testing, treatment of properties
- Lifting capacity of drilling fluids
- Drilling fluid calculations, and solid control.
4. HOLE PROBLEMS:
- Sloughing shales (wellbore stability)
- Stuck pipe
- Loss of circulation
- Kicks and blowout.
5. DRILLING HYDRAULICS:
- Fluid rheology
- Pressure loss calculations
- Surge and swab pressures
- Hydraulics optimization.
6. DRILL BITS:
- Bit types and selection
- Rock cutting mechanisms
- Terminating a bit run
- Factors affecting penetration rate
- Bit operations.
7. ABNORMAL PRESSURE DETECTION:
- Methods of estimating pore pressure (before, while and after drilling)
- Formation fracture gradient and leak off test.
8. CEMENTING OPERATIONS:
- Cement types and additives
- Primary cementing
- Cementing calculations.
9. SPECIAL DRILLING TECHNIQUES:
- Vertical drilling
- Directional drilling
- Horizontal drilling